Monday, July 2, 2012

Acclimation Day at Toulumne Meadows

July 2nd
Kevin, Puck and myself woke up at 3:30am and drove to Yosemite.    I had no idea of what to expect as this was their first trip to Yosemite and first ever backpacking experience.     We left Oakland at 4am and our plan was to pick up our permit and hang out at the Toulumne Meadows backpackers camp to acclimate to the altitude at the backpackers campsite.    We found out that they had car camping spots available which turned out to be a bad move and a lesson for the future.    Stay away from campsites by the entrance/exit to a campground.     We felt like we had set up our tents by a freeway.     It didn't feel like camping at all and the dust kicked up by the car coming by was immense.     When I come back to this site on you July 15th to acclimate again and start the trail I think I will maybe cheat my permit and just start walking unless I run into a ranger and am told to go back to the  campsite.  




All wasn't bad though.   I actually completed a little part of the trail that I had skipped in 2006 because I wanted to get a cheeseburger.     I only had missed about half mile to mile but it was cool to actually get a new part of the JMT logged despite its short length.  

* Vegetarian Chili at Toulumne Meadows is grill is not to be underestimated and of course their cheeseburgers were designed for Royalty.  

*Kevin set up the tent successfully while Puck seemed nervously out of place.     Taking urbanites camping can be a rewarding and a patience building experience.  

*Mad Magazine can make you extremely popular.  

*Mammoth Lakes Brewing company is a superior beer and only $1.75 for a bottle at the Toulumne Meadows store.     Double Nut Brown is other worldly!




No comments:

Post a Comment