Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 3 Past Marie Lakes trail head 9.856 feet to Reds Meadow

Monday, July 16th, 2012

Day 3 Past Marie Lakes trail head 9.856 feet to Reds Meadow

* Note: pictures will be added later.

18 miles

I woke up late after a fitful night's sleep and 3 chapters of hunger games was on trail by 9am.

Started off slow and my feet were hurting from blisters.

Island Pass was uneventful but there were a ton of great campsites.  I wish I would have pushed on the previous night.

I spent an hour and a half at Thousand Island Lakes it was amazing.  I spent 1 minute here in 2006 and really regretted it.

From Thousand Island Lakes I decided to try the River Trial for something different and I was quite amazed.

The amount of downed trees from a wind storm, called the Devil's Wind Storm in November was saddening it was like a giant picked up the trees like toothpicks and threw them on the ground.


Arrived at Reds Meadow around 8ish.  Had to skip dinner to make it, but I knew I would pig out in the morning at the Mule house cafe.

Hung out by fire talking to fellow JMTers: Kyle and David.  Pretty funny that we were out in the mountains and talking about Netflix.  


The John Muir Trail shares 200 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail going from Mexico to Canada


The Ritter Range overlooking Thousand Island Lakes






Trader Joe's Mediterranean Flat bread with Sunflower Seed butter, red pepper and parmesan cheese made for an excellent lunch


The start to the River Trail










The damage to these trees was ugly.   It is amazing that trail crews were able to make the trail passable.   
















No comments:

Post a Comment