Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rest Day 1 and 2: 1.4 miles to Vermillion Valley Ranch

Thursday, July 19th, 2010

Rest Day 1.4 miles to Vermillion Valley Ranch

Easy hike in!  I saw a man carry a woman on his back at warp speed!  She pulled a tendon on her ankle.  Felt bad because their JMT Ended at this point.  I couldn't imagine how I would feel if this happened to me after planning since December to do this hike.

I met a on of people.  One of those folks named Kyle had a similar approach to me with staying on the trail all day and hiking slow.  He slept cowboy style at night (no tent, no shelter).  He was the rogue party from Kyle and David whom I met at Reds Meadow.  The 2 others that I hung out with were Nick and Bob whom were in there late 50s and were making really good time on the trail.    We immediately had breakfast with a fantastic group of people.  I had a humungous burrito  (I only finished half) for breakfast follow by 4 beers and a nap.

 Was hoping to see Joel who is my friend since 1st grade and hiking partner who will join me on the rest of the trail but no sign yet.  

The waitress at the VVR was just about as spicy and nasty as you could find.    If you are easily offended this is not the place for you.     She wanted to change VVR to the "Hiker Barrel which would be like the Cracker Barrel except meaner and shittier".    

Joel and our friend Chris from LA ended up showing up around 5ish on the 20th.    We went down Mono Hot Springs for dinner and got a room.  

Thomas from Fresno.  Aka the Shovelman



Jeremy, Chris and Joel

Jeremy and Matt
After dinner I was in the store at Mono Hot Springs and I heard someone say Darwin, my middle name.    It turned out to be one of my wife's friends from her hometown.    He ended up hanging out at cabin that night and having a few beers with us.    


No comments:

Post a Comment