Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 5 Duck Pass Junction to Edison Trail Junction

Wednesday, July 18th, 2012

Day 5 Duck Pass Junction to Edison Trail Junction
21 miles

Day started at 5:45 am from just a little before duck creek.  Yesterday I saw hardly any people.  Today I met tons.  I was dragging for most the morning but I really perked up at Virginia Lake.  This was another place that I did not get to spend much time at in 2006.  I made tea and coffee and ate a ton there.  This is by far one of the best lakes on the trial.  I probably spent close to an hour there.  From there it was a long decent into Tully Hole.  It was really my first encounter with mosquitoes but I didn't get bitten once luckily.  I jumped into the creek with all my clothes on and if felt amazing, although it was really cold!  Lunch was Trader Joe's Mediterranean Flat Bread with sunflower seed butter, pepperoni, Tabasco sauce and Parmesan cheese.  Sounds gross, but it was a delight.  Also had some "Mountain Creek" crystal light with caffeine and I shot up Silver Pass like a billy goat with a rocket up it's ass.  This pass was more dramatic that I remember with tons of false peaks.  The views at the top were the best so far.  From there it was a long way down to the Edison Lake Trail to be 1.11 miles away from the ferry tomorrow.  This downhill was the hardest part of the trail attempted this far.  I probably did too much, but in the name of a breakfast burrito I persevered.

I ended up camping with Thomas, 60ish from Fresno, and Kenny from Queens who was 26.  They were great company, although both were carrying a ridiculous amount of weight.  Thomas was carrying a cast iron shovel in his pack.  Best night's sleep so far.

Pinky toe has nasty blister.











Virginia Lake




Approach to Tully Hole

Approach to Silver Pass








Silver Pass

Hilarious.   I look like I have a cape.    










My friend the Marmot







No comments:

Post a Comment